Saturday, December 11, 2004

Stop Bitching About Stop-Loss

I'm personally getting tired of all the bitching about stop-loss. Eight soldiers have actually filed a lawsuit over the matter. Some of you may ask, what right do you have criticizing these soldiers. I'll be more than happy to tell you. I enlisted in the Army for three years in March of 2002. You can probably do the math. That's right, I'm supposed to get out in March of 2005. Guess what, I'm not. So if anyone has the right to call these soldiers what they are, whiners, then it's me. I would happily tell this to their face if I had the opportunity. Sure, I have a wife that I love and enjoy spending time with. Sure, I have a son that is going to be born while I'm deployed for over a year past my initial enlistment. Sure, I'm not exactly throwing a party over the prospect of spending a over a year of my life in some remote outpost of Iraq, getting shot at by a bunch of assholes. I'm not whining, crying, or filing any lawsuits. I might not be getting on that plane with a smile on my face, but I wouldn't have it any other way. This is what I signed up for. How many opportunities do you have to stand face to face with the enemy, on their turf, with my brothers, say fuck you, take my weapon off safe, and go to town. Combat is the one thing a soldier like me has to look forward to, not all the bullshit administrative meetings, briefings, and all the other bureaucratic nonsense. This is our Super Bowl. What's the point of all those endless hours of training if you can't play the game. I'm fully aware of the gravity and danger associated with this game, but I would rather play it out on their turf, than sit on my couch watching it on TV. , waiting for the day when it comes to my home. I couldn't imagine seeing my friends go off to war without me. I would feel like the biggest shit-bag in the history of the army. Besides the importance of fighting with my brothers in arms, I'm also intelligent enought to understand the historic implications of this war in Iraq and the broader war on terrorism. These terrorist assholes think they have a monopoly on their willingness to fight to the end. My friend's and I, as well as the other soldiers fighting over there, are there to show them the true spirit of what it means to fight for something you beleive in. So quit your bitching, strap your boots on, and realize the unique opportunity you have in fighting for something good and honorable.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hands clapping! Your rant deserves a big round of applause! It's exactly what I would expect a true American soldier to say. There are no words to express how much I appreciate your commitment to defending our country, and protecting people like me, who don't have the ability or guts to do what you do.

Shari, California

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from La Grange, Georgia!!! Thank you for your service and dedication in the war on terror!!!! Rock'n'Roll! Thank you for fighting for Freedom! Godspeed!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Best of Mobil's Jipzee Cab said...

You're the man!! Thank you for your sacrifice. We love you!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Buffalokill said...

DANG, that was right on the money.

When you said " I couldn't imagine seeing my friends go off to war without me..."

You are absolutely right. Cos thats how I feel, since the army rejected me due to medical problems.

What I would give to be over there in the thick of it. The way i figure it... If yer gonna go, go with yer boots on!

"Hit em for real!"

-Chad Coleman
www.Passtheammo.com

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. It cannot be said enough to men like yourself, but THANK YOU. For your bravery, your patriotis, and your sacrifice.

Tell every one of your buddies out there that we love you back home and cant wait to get you home. Pay no attention to the news - its as biased about our feelings here at home as I imagine they are about your feelings over there.

Again, thank you.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the real issue here is, these soldiers [and others] were not initially told their length of service would in fact be lengthened. Other-wise, it would be a cop out. I think it could easily be desribed as misleading expecting [when volenteering and at a later date being told something different.
Regards Greg Australia

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I'd been there with you buddy. Alive and 55

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hats off to you!! I think you guys are doing a great job! Although, there isn't a thank you large enough for someone defending our freedom, something to many people take for granted, I would like to express my biggest THANK YOU! Our troops are always in our thoughts & prayers! As far as the bitchin', you're right, however, I thought there was two years or so that you could be called back to active duty, even if you were released.

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home