Saturday, May 07, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

I wanted to wish all the Mothers reading this a very happy Mother’s Day. Whether you know it or not, you are greatly appreciated and loved by all. As for my precious wife, I can only say thank you for the gift of our little boy. I know he already loves you more than anyone in the world, just as his dad does. I’d like to thank my mom for all her love and support in everything I do. I’m sorry I don’t tell you more often how much I love you and how much I appreciate everything you’ve done for me. I’d also like to thank my grandmother and mother-in-law. Both of you are the sweetest ladies in the world. I’m a better person for having the opportunity to be a part of all of your live’s.

I doubt that Iraq celebrates Mother’s Day, but I would still like to thank all the mothers here in Iraq. You may be relegated to the shadows of this society, but you don’t go unnoticed to me. I see you toil in the fields, weighted down with heavy burdens, riding in the back of trucks, cars, buses, and donkeys. I see you bringing home the sustenance that will nourish your children. I see the love you have for your children and the love they have for you in return. While most of you may not directly acknowledge our presence, I see your smiling eyes as your children wave to us with glee, looking to you for acceptance, then turning back to us less inhibited after gaining your smiling approval. Thank you for that. While you may not wave yourself, I thank you for teaching your children, even if it’s behind closed doors, that the American soldiers are good and decent and that it’s okay for them to acknowledge that. Your children are the future of this country, and their joyous smiles are the best reward we could ever hope to have.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
A proud Iraqi mother showing off her twins

11 Comments:

Blogger Papa Ray said...

Hey,

Damn, well said, well said.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Soldier, very well written.
Got me all choked up. Mind if I steal some of your lines to put in
my card to my mother.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! Thank you from a grandmom. It is sons like you who make us moms of strength and love.
hugs to you, Kathy S from Florida

9:27 PM  
Blogger DRH said...

After a very busy day helping my youngest move back home for the summer and being surprised to return home and find my oldest here as a surprise, what made me cry was your post. Thank you so much for being the man that you are. God bless you

10:43 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Excellent job in expressing your appreciation, not just for your mom, and wife, and other mom relatives, but for the mother's you live around. Hopefully they know your wish and gratitude for them.

It's great to hear a person so appreciative for the females and mother's in their lives. It speaks volumes about your character. I bet you're mother and wife are so very proud of you and thankful you belong to them.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Internet Street Philosopher said...

I know that you're a busy man and all, but I have to say that was beautiful...I know that the Iraq conflict gets a lot of grief but thank you very much for fighting for our freedoms. Blessings and stay safe.

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey

keep it up with the great writing and wonderful pictures.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautifully said and appreciated. My soldier son tells me that girls may have their dads but boys have their moms. It touches a mother's heart to hear a man express appreciation, respect, and love for women in his life, and in the world. Your mom must be proud and I am proud of you for her too

6:20 PM  
Blogger devildog6771 said...

Wow- Thank you so much for that wonderful tribute. I had a beautiful Mother's Day. The only sad point was my sister and mom were there and my sister lost her only child, a son in Kuwait last March 5 a year ago.

My brother and I did a cook out for her and my mom. I was feeling sad for her but your beautiful comment has made me feel better.

God Bless you. I now your Mom and wife are feeling pretty lucky and proud of you.

Be safe! [p.s. I wrote a letter to all you troops away from home for Mother's Day. Check it out!] Thank you for your service and sacrifices.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful piece. It made me cry. Thank you Huntress for raising such a wonderful and sensitive son.
Huntress I also want to thank you so much for being so supportive to my son. I appreciate that very much. God bless you and have a happy Mothers Day. Mustang Mama

8:23 AM  
Blogger Em said...

This is so beautiful. So eloquently stated. the honor you are giving to those who are creators and nourishers.

Who needs a hallmark card when you got this post...it cant compare.

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home