Sunday, February 13, 2005

Greetings From Iraq

Sorry I haven't written sooner, but we have been busy since we finally got up to our FOB. They gave us a couple of days to acclimate and settle in before we began a whirlwind of patrols for the past four days. You think we have bad drivers back in the states, you should come over here. These people truly drive it like they stole it. Of course their driving is nothing compared to the way we drive our humvees around here. We command the road and you better not get in the way. Ive quickly learned that you drive fast and in the middle of the road to better avoid the chance of getting hit with an IED. Those people driving in the opposite direction by now realize this and are good about pulling off to the side of the road. As a gunner atop the Humvee this is fine with me, since I'm the most likely to get wounded from an IED. This point was made clear back in Kuwait when we were hearded into a tent to view an IED film. Guess what, almost everyone that got hurt was a gunner. Cool! It doesn't matter though, I still think I have the best seat in the house. I just hope that if an IED does go off that there will be someone that is clearly the culprit, so I can make use of the pretty gun I have up there with me. I would almost rather be shot at with an RPG, since you at least know the origin of the round and therefore the shooter. It sounded like I just wish to get shot at by an RPG. I promise I'm not crazy. You know what is really fun? Driving through a bustling city with hundreds of people walking all around and poking their heads out of windows and rooftops. There is so much to look for that it's nearly impossible, so you just don't worry about it. It's a very liberating experience though. Kind of like walking down the street naked with everyone laughing at you and not worrying about it. Not that I've done that, but I can imagine the laughs I would get, especially since it's really cold outside.

So far the people have seemed nice if not just indifferent to our presence. The kids are still great though, just like the last time I was here. I don't pretend to think that everyone here is enamored with us, but I think the vast majority of the people like us. In the week that I have been here I can already see a lot of the good things we are doing over here. The IA(Iraqi Army) are looking pretty well and seem to be proud of the job they have. We have already worked with once and will again tomorrow. I hope they are proud of what they are doing. I can tell that they respect the men that are in charge of them. I just pray that the men in charge are good people.

What else. Internet access in kind of limited. You have to normally wait in line and then only have a half hour to be on. If it seems I've been rambling, it's because I'm typing as fast as something comes to my mind. The FOB that we are staying at is not one of the better ones, but it's not a bad place to live for over a year. I only have to room with two other guys which isn't bad. The food is actually pretty good, a lot better than the crap we had in Kuwait. There are showers that are warm if you catch it at the right time and toilets in these little trailor like boxes. Of course we still have port-a-johns. I wouldn't know what to do without those around. It should be an interesting year. I will try to write again soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger devildog6771 said...

I want to offer my tribute to you ans all our troops in the war. Thank you for all you do!


"Well Into the Night"


They gave their lives in defense of their country,
never once faltering at their tasks.
Heroes in every sense of the word,
these brave souls have done as we asked.

They gathered their gear and went to the front,
young men and women with fear on their faces,
Soldiers with courage in their hearts,
they set to their task, they began the hunt!

Through desert sand in a hot unfriendly land,
they marched to the cadance of soldiers past.
They fought our enemy, one by one,
outgunned, outmanned, they fought to the last.

Noone can say that these brave soldiers,
young men and women fron all walks of life,
Didn't do their duty as they had been taught,
with courage, honor, dignity, and pride,
they met the challange of war,
head on, they marched into the midle of the strife.

But not all our soldiers died on the battlefield as we know it,
some were taken by thieves in the night.
These thieves came, as cowards do,
in the shadows of darkness.

They came and took our innocent friends
and families, and yes, our troops,
not as honorable soldiers
answering the call of their God and country;
but as crazed, angry men
with hate in their hearts,
seekers of power, position,and personal agendas.

They owe allegiance to noone,
including the God they profess to follow;
Though their war was begun many years ago,
they escalated their campaign
one morning in September.

They blend into the crowds like a second skin,
suicide bombers, young and old;
misguided murderers who like to pretend,
they fight for freedom and Religion.

They put bombs on trains and under cars,
they strap them to women and children;
noone is safe from their depraved behavior,
they ram our troops cars from behind,
attack randomly from the shadows,
all in the name of their holy Savior.

Yet through it all, with heads held high,
and pride in their hearts, our soldiers
continue to rally and fight;
As one comrad falls, and another steps forward,
they continue the fight,
well into the night.



As I wrote this, I take credit for it....
periodically I may add or make changes....
hopefully improve it.....seeker

8:59 AM  
Blogger membrain said...

I'm glad they gave you time to acclimatize yourselves. It must be quite the experience being in Iraq for your second tour. You are a part of history, a world changing event. I wish you well and thank you for your service.

4:15 PM  
Blogger DangerGirl said...

So you're finally in Iraq.....and settling in quite well from what I just read - LOL!

Please let me know if anyone in your unit isnt receiving mail...I'll be happy to write or email anyone....

Stay safe!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Al's Girl said...

Glad you finally got up to Iraq - and that you convoyed in safely. My fiance' is there too - he's a nurse - stay safe, k?

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a long time reader and i'm so happy things are going good for you so far. drop me an email if you need anything once you get your APO. you'll probably be getting this request from a lot of people, usually what the guys do is make a list of stuff and post it so folks here can send it to you. fyi amazon.com lets you do a wish list fairly easily.

keep posting and take good care,

liz
purtyldy2 at msn dot com

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home